Mt. Diablo
Pilots Association

  • Home
  • Postponed to Fall 2020 or Spring 2021: Flyout to Bryce Canyon, Utah (KBCE) to visit southern Utah's desert monuments from the air.

Postponed to Fall 2020 or Spring 2021: Flyout to Bryce Canyon, Utah (KBCE) to visit southern Utah's desert monuments from the air.

  • Friday, May 01, 2020
  • 8:00 AM
  • Monday, May 04, 2020
  • 5:00 PM
  • Buchanan Field to Utah and back
  • 89

Registration

  • Go if there are open seats available and the pilot agrees. No charge, but pilot may appreciate an offer to help pay for fuel!
  • Go if there are open seats available and the pilot agrees. No charge, but pilot may appreciate an offer to help pay for fuel!
  • Go if there are open seats available and the pilot agrees. No charge, but pilot may appreciate an offer to help pay for fuel!
  • Go if there are open seats available and the pilot agrees. No charge, but pilot may appreciate an offer to help pay for fuel!

Postponement:

With our collective concern and attention currently focused on other critical matters, the trip leaders and the Board of Directors made the decision to postpone the trip in light of the national and local developments surrounding the Corona virus/COVID-19 situation.

We'll look at it again for the Fall, or for next Spring as those are the best "temperature windows" for travel and managing density altitude.

Regarding reservations:  Even before the health crisis, Ruby's Inn at Bryce Canyon has been very accommodating and flexible about plans, and so with our decision regarding the trip, they've asked that cancellations be made no less than 48 hours before May 1st. So for those of you with reservations, be sure to cancel them on time.

Finally, it goes without saying that any existing reservations could simply be exercised by anyone wanting to go and make the trip on their own.

Thank you for your understanding.

____________________________________________________________________________________

For general reference, the website will retain the original announcement here:

Our "Big Trip" flyout organizer, Stu Schuster, with able help from George Grech, has established the basic logistics for a flyout to Bryce Canyon in southern Utah on the weekend of May 1st, as announced at our Feb 1st Safety Forum Breakfast.

Description:  The length of the flyout has been set at four days instead of three (Friday the 1st through Monday the 4th) because of the distance involved (471 nm direct from KCCR to Bryce Canyon - KBCE), and because of interest in doing a regional flyover while there on Saturday and/or Sunday to see nearby national parks and monuments such as Zion, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, and possibly Monument Valley. The routing and destinations for the flyover will be assembled by Stu and George to produce a final route. George has flown the area before and will lend his experience to the decision-making. 

Flying Considerations:  This is a high altitude trip and should be approached conservatively from a flying point-of-view. It's most suited to higher horsepower aircraft as KBCE at 7590 MSL is 1500' higher than Truckee, with higher mountains enroute and in the vicinity of KBCE.

The elevation of the Sierras and the mountains east of Cedar City, Utah are in the range of at least 10k-12k MSL. The sectional charts for the area (Las Vegas and Denver) are very enlightening and should be studied. Daytime high temperatures in May historically average around 64F at KBCE, which should help with density altitude.

Registration:  Until March 14th, registration is open to all MDPA members.

After March 14th, if the available slots are not filled, we will invite members of EAA and other organizations to join the trip.

Lodging:  George has worked with the helpful staff at Ruby's Inn Best Western - Bryce Canyon - to set aside a block of 15 rooms. However, unlike last year's trip to the Grand Canyon, MDPA itself is not involved in guaranteeing or purchasing the lodging - it is up to each individual traveler to book and pay for their room(s) as described in the terms below.

Group Meals:  Stu has been working with local restaurants to set up group dinners for Saturday and Sunday night. Details to follow as we get closer to May 1st.

Questions?  Stu can be reached at: stu.schuster@sbcglobal.net

and George can be reached at: george.grech@comcast.net

Hotel Contact Info and Instructions:

The hotel's direct phone # to make reservations is 435-834-5341

Group Block Confirmation Number: 1834460 / Block Code 2005DIABL

How to Book Blocked Rooms:

To book the rooms in the block we hope you will utilize our on-line booking system.  By clicking the following link, you and your attendees will be able to book a room inside the group block at the special rate securely and conveniently.   Feel free to send it to all in your party. You can also embed it in a website if you have one for your event. 

  https://www.bryceres.com/rubys/availability.asp?startDate=5/1/2020&duration=2&requesttype=invBlockCode&code=2005DIABL

 If someone wishes to call in and reservation agent on-site can help them.  Please state the following to the reservation agent “I would like to book an individual room inside of a group block. The block name is “ Diablo Pilots .”  Then give them the date you would like to arrive along with the number of nights you would like to stay.

Friday, May 01, 2020

15 X 2 Queen Beds Non Smoking at $ 119.00

Saturday, May 02, 2020

15 X 2 Queen Beds Non Smoking at $ 119.00

Sunday, May 03, 2020

15 X 2 Queen Beds Non Smoking at $ 119.00

 Rates are per room per night and do not include tax. Tax Rate is 13.87%*Subject to change

Guarantee & Billing Instructions

Individual Booking and Guarantee

 Contract Terms

The rooms in the block are to be booked by the individual attendees via our website or calling in and asking to book a room inside of the block.(See instructions below)  All rooms that are blocked are required to be booked with a name and a credit card at least 21 days prior to arrival.  Any rooms not booked with name and credit card will be released for resale. 

 Cancellation Policy

If cancellation of this booking becomes necessary, to avoid forfeiture of any deposits paid or payment of penalties, Best Western Plus Ruby’s Inn must receive written notification no later than 30 days prior to arrival. Cancellations for individual group reservations are 48 hours prior to arrival.

Copyright Mt. Diablo Pilots Association, 1976 - 2020, a California non-profit corporation. PO Box 6632, Concord, CA  94524

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software